Learn how to add sweetness to Brussels Sprouts with the addition of peaches and maple syrup. If peaches aren’t in season, you can use 2 cups of chopped frozen peaches (defrosted) or 2 cups of drained and roughly chopped canned peaches.
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this easy side dish, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="brusselspeachesbaconrotd"][/sc]
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- black pepper
- 2 peaches*, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- In a large sauté pan set over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from heat. Transfer bacon to a plate and discard all but one tablespoon of the fat.
- Put pan with bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add the onion, Brussels sprouts, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until sprouts are browning and becoming tender, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the bacon.
- To the browned sprouts add the peaches, bacon, and maple syrup. Stir continuously until peaches are heated through, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the lemon juice, a pinch or two of salt and of pepper. Stir gently.
*Note: If peaches aren’t in season, you can use 2 cups of chopped frozen peaches (defrosted) or 2 cups of drained and roughly chopped canned peaches.