Make crispy tortilla strips in your air fryer! Ready in minutes and perfect for a crunchy snack.
Craving something crunchy and a little salty? Flour tortillas crisp up in the air fryer in about five minutes, and make a quick, crunchy, and easy snack. Plus, you can toss them with whatever seasonings you’d like.
How To Prep The Tortillas
Any size tortilla will work in this recipe. I prefer the large, 10-inch tortillas because they make fun, curly, wild shapes in the air fryer that are fun to snack on and dip.
Because the larger tortillas can be challenging to cut evenly, I like to stack them on top of each other and then fold them in half. With the fold facing toward you, cut the stack of tortillas into ¼-inch strips.
For dipping, a ¼-inch or ½-inch thick slice works well, however, the tortillas can also be cut thinner for potato stick-like snacks and for topping soups, salads, and even ice cream. The tortillas can also be cut into triangle wedge shapes for more of a traditional tortilla chip shape.
Making Crispy Tortilla Strips In The Air Fryer
To make the crispy tortilla strips, set the air fryer temperature to 400°F. Stack the tortillas on top of each other and fold the stack in half. With the fold facing toward you, cut the folded stack of tortillas into ¼-inch strips.
Transfer the strips to a medium bowl and spray them generously with olive oil spray. Sprinkle salt and seasoning over the oiled tortilla strips, and then toss to coat. The strips can go right into the air fryer basket at this point. Spread them into an even layer, with as little overlap as possible so that each one can be exposed to the hot circulating air in the air fryer.
Insert basket into air fryer, and cook for 3 minutes. Remove air fryer basket and using tongs, toss the tortilla strips to redistribute them. They should be just about crispy at this point, with some browned edges. Place the basket back into the air fryer and cook for about one minute more or until desired crispiness is reached. (Don’t walk away! They’ll go from perfectly toasty to burnt in no time.)
Transfer crispy tortilla strips to a serving bowl or plate, and serve warm or at room temperature.
No air fryer? You can also bake these in the oven or toaster oven, but they may require a few extra minutes without the air circulation that the air fryer provides.
Uses For Crispy Tortilla Strips
I love snacking on these by themselves, but they’re also perfect with hummus, salsa, guacamole, and ranch dip.
For a sweet treat, transfer the warm strips directly from the air fryer to a bowl, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. It’s perfect over vanilla ice cream.Print
- 3 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- olive oil spray
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. favorite seasoning (optional)
- Set air fryer temperature to 400°F.
- Stack tortillas on top of each other, fold in half. With the fold facing toward you, cut the folded stack of tortillas into ¼-inch strips. Transfer tortilla strips to a medium bowl.
- Spray tortilla strips generously with olive oil spray. Sprinkle salt and seasoning over oiled tortilla strips, toss to coat.
- Transfer tortilla strips to air fryer basket. Insert basket into air fryer. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove air fryer basket, toss tortilla strips to redistribute. Return basket to air fryer. Cook 1 minute more or until desired crispiness is reached.
- Transfer crispy tortilla strips to a serving bowl or plate, serve warm or at room temperature.