This Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Recipe is a super-easy yet impressive summer dessert. You grill some store-bought angel food cake and you grill some honey-dipped strawberries. Then you top it with a puff of Lemon Whipped Cream. It tastes like summer!
Listen to me explain briefly about how to make this dessert, with some great tips along the way, by clicking the play button below:[sc name="grilledstrawberryshortcakerotd"][/sc]
- 1 and ½ cups whipping cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 lb. package of strawberries (about 24), hulled
- 6 skewers
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 12 oz. Angel Food Cake (store-bought or homemade)
- Fresh basil or mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Pour the whipping cream into a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Use the stand mixer or egg beater at medium speed to whip the cream for 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon zest and the powdered sugar.
- Whip until soft peaks form, 4-6 minutes more. Refrigerate until serving.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Cut angel food cake into 6 wedges.
- Thread 4 strawberries onto each skewer.
- Drizzle each skewer of strawberries with 1 teaspoon of honey. Use a brush or fingers to spread it around and coat berries.
- Transfer berry skewers and angel food cake to the grill. Grill on one side until grill marks appear, 1-2 minutes. Flip and grill until grill marks appear on the other side, 1-2 minutes more. Remove from grill.
- Serve each slice of angel food cake with a skewer of grilled strawberries and about ½ cup of whipped cream.
- Garnish with basil or mint leaves, if desired.